The Center for Health Care Rights is a Los Angeles-based nonprofit organization dedicated to assuring consumer access to quality health care through education, counseling, informal advocacy and legal services. The Center is the Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) for Los Angeles City and County and is the primary source for Medicare beneficiaries to access free and unbiased Medicare education and information. The Center’s direct services to Medicare beneficiaries empower consumers who are older adults and/or people with disabilities and their family members to use Medicare, Medi-Cal and other health benefits effectively, make informed health care choices, and take appropriate action to resolve their health care problems. All services are provided free of charge.
Program services include counseling and informal advocacy (to help clients understand their Medicare and Medi-Cal rights and benefits, obtain access to programs that provide help with medical expenses, and help resolve access to care problems within the Medicare and Medi-Cal programs); community education and outreach (via free educational seminars or health fair presentations on Medicare, Medi-Cal, and other health care topics for Medicare consumers, caregivers, and health and social service providers); and legal assistance (with staff attorneys providing Medicare beneficiaries with legal advice and/or representation to resolve serious Medicare and Medi-Cal access to care problems or claim denials).
The Center operates a robust volunteer program to help support the organization. Many volunteers are trained and registered HICAP counselors who provide in-person counseling to Medicare beneficiaries and their families at community locations throughout Los Angeles County. Volunteers may also participate in outreach activities, community education events, administrative tasks and other special projects.
The Community Education Coordinator will have primary responsibility for the administration of Center for Health Care Rights’ community education and outreach program activities.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Coordinate community education program and outreach activities including maintaining scheduling calendar
- Develop relationships with organizations, businesses and individuals in the community for the purpose of promoting CHCR services and scheduling educational and promotional events
- Participate in the revision and development of written education and promotional materials to meet the needs of CHCR’s diverse client population
- Maintain accurate records in order to monitor and report on HICAP community education grant activities
- Conduct community education programs for consumers, professionals and other audiences both in-person and online
- Will be trained and registered as a HICAP Community Educator
- Represent CHCR at community events and meetings
- Travel to locations throughout Los Angeles County.
- Provide counseling and advocacy services as a direct service staff member
- Will be trained on Medicare and related topics and registered as a HICAP Counselor
- Maintain accurate database records on all client contacts and services
- Work on special projects as assigned, and participate in the development of program strategies to identify and respond to the diverse needs of CHCR’s client population
- Four-year college degree required (educational requirement may be waived at the discretion of the employer in light of significant experience in the field)
- Significant experience providing community education and outreach required
- Experience working with community-based organizations preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, detail orientation, and professionalism
- Interest in serving the needs of older adults and/or people with disabilities
- Reliable transportation
- Proficient with Microsoft 365 and Office Suite
- Experience with database systems and spreadsheets preferred
Salary and Benefits: This is a salaried exempt position with a salary range of $64,480 to $70,000 per year based on experience and qualifications. Employer provides 100 percent paid premium health and dental benefits, life insurance, employee assistance program, and paid parking. The Center offers a voluntary and self-funded tax-deferred annuity program and supplemental insurance. Generous paid time off including paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
The expectation will be that this position will work both in the office (in the Wilshire Center area of Los Angeles; parking is provided), with the opportunity for partial remote work following the introductory period, and outside of the office at various locations for events and presentations. Applicants considered for hire must pass a background check and be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have a valid exemption.
The Center for Health Care Rights, an equal opportunity employer, is committed to advancing diversity, inclusion, equity, and access. We acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all people and do not discriminate based on race, ancestry or national origin; color; sex; sexual orientation; religion; physical disability; marital status; or age. We encourage all applicants to apply.
To apply, please click this link and there you will be able to provide your information, along with a specific cover letter and current resume.