Center for Health Care Rights – Los Angeles, CA
The Center for Health Care Rights is a Los Angeles-based nonprofit organization dedicated to assuring consumer access to quality health care through education, counseling, informal advocacy and legal services. The Center is the Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) for Los Angeles City and County and is the primary source for Medicare beneficiaries to access free and unbiased Medicare education and information. The Center’s direct services to Medicare beneficiaries empower consumers who are older adults and/or people with disabilities and their family members to use Medicare, Medi-Cal and other health benefits effectively, make informed health care choices, and take appropriate action to resolve their health care problems. All services are provided free of charge.
Program services include counseling and informal advocacy (to help clients understand their Medicare and Medi-Cal rights and benefits, obtain access to programs that provide help with medical expenses, and help resolve access to care problems within the Medicare and Medi-Cal programs); community education and outreach (via free educational seminars or health fair presentations on Medicare, Medi-Cal, and other health care topics for Medicare consumers, caregivers, and health and social service providers); and legal assistance (with staff attorneys providing Medicare beneficiaries with legal advice and/or representation to resolve serious Medicare and Medi-Cal access to care problems or claim denials).
The Health Care Advocate counsels Medicare beneficiaries and those individuals soon to be eligible for Medicare benefits, provides information, and advocates on behalf of older adults and people with disabilities, and may conduct community outreach and education. Activities are related to the following objectives:
• Assist Medicare beneficiaries with questions about health benefits, health claims and insurance problems through direct counseling and informal advocacy; and
• Support the independence of people making choices that affect their health and financial well-being; and
• Inform the public and interested parties about the challenges associated with Medicare and related health insurance plans and products;
Training will be provided on Medicare, Medi-Cal, and other health care topics to enable the Health Care Advocate to become a registered Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy (HICAP) Counselor.
• Counseling – Provides individual counseling and informational services to Medicare beneficiaries regarding Medicare insurance options, eligibility for financial assistance programs to help with Medicare costs, billing problems, and other related topics
• Advocacy – Assists individuals as appropriate, to ensure that clients’ rights and privileges under Medicare are upheld, makes appropriate referrals to legal services and/or other agencies, and offers other referrals and/or interventions as needed and appropriate
• Record-keeping – Maintains accurate database records on all client contacts and services
• Community outreach and education – May attend outreach events or conduct presentations to community groups regarding Medicare and related insurance coverage
• Program publicity and promotion – Provides information regarding Center for Health Care Rights services, including volunteer opportunities, to community groups, senior centers, senior lunch sites, etc.
• Work on special projects as assigned
• Four-year college degree in the social sciences or related field is required (educational requirement may be waived at the discretion of the employer in light of significant experience in the field)
• Three or more years providing services in a social services or health care organization or related experience
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational skills, detail orientation, and professionalism
• Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of older adults and/or people with disabilities;
• Proficient with Microsoft 365 and Office Suite
• Previous experience working on a telephone hotline a plus, but not required
• Applicants who are bilingual in Spanish, Korean, Russian, or Armenian are encouraged to apply
• One opening will be reserved for a candidate who can communicate effectively in both English and Spanish
Salary and Benefits: This is a salaried exempt position with a salary of $58,240 Per year depending on qualifications. Employer provides 100 percent paid premium health and dental benefits and paid parking. The Center offers a voluntary and self-funded tax- deferred annuity program and supplemental insurance. Generous paid time off including paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
This is a full-time exempt position. The expectation will be that this position will work in the office (in the Wilshire Center area of Los Angeles; parking is provided) during training with the opportunity for partial remote work following HICAP Counselor registration.
Applicants considered for hire must pass a background check and be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have a valid exemption.
The Center for Health Care Rights, an equal opportunity employer, is committed to advancing diversity, inclusion, equity, and access. We acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all people and do not discriminate based on race, ancestry or national origin; color; sex; sexual orientation; religion; physical disability; marital status; or age. We encourage all applicants to apply.
To apply, click here https://careers.ikrut.com/541494d7-4c1d-4e28-a5ee-acdc29c6c071/0/jobs/a/71375?src=direct&v=637935198468661990